Permanent Immigration via Family

One of the most common ways to obtain permanent residence (also called a Green Card) is through the petition of a close family member who is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, or through certain family-related categories. The permanent residence system for family members is governed by congressionally mandated quotas and can involve long backlogs. Even a small mistake can delay the process or result in a denial of your application, so it is critical that you seek legal help before taking action.

At Cascadia Cross Border Law Group LLC, we can help. Our office represents people in Alaska and throughout the United States and abroad who seek permanent residence or citizenship in the U.S. because of their family connections here.

How Permanent Immigration Via Family Works

Under U.S. immigration laws, U.S. citizens and permanent residents may file for certain relatives who qualify to immigrate to the United States. Generally, the U.S. citizen or permanent resident starts this process by filing a Petition for Alien Relative with United States Citizenship & Immigration Services.

Certain other special situations can make a person eligible for permanent residence or citizenship, including being a victim of domestic violence, entering the United States with a K visa as the fiancé(e) of a United States citizen, being born to a foreign diplomat in the United States, being a widow or widower of a U.S. citizen, or being the parent, spouse, or child of someone who is serving or has served in the US Armed Forces, even if the military member has died in service. We can help you decide which path is best for you.

If You Have Been Initially Denied

Do not be discouraged if you have filed for a family visa and have been denied. Sometimes we can re-file the paperwork and cure the problem. A prior attorney may have made errors in submitting the paperwork, information may have been accidentally omitted, or a deadline may have been missed. We can spot these types of problems and let you know whether the problem can be resolved. That is why making sure your case is handled by an experienced family visa immigration lawyer is important to the success of your petition.

Talk to our seasoned attorney, Margaret Stock, a well-known immigration lawyer who has a track record of being able to help people when no one else could. She handles some of the most difficult immigration law cases. Call Cascadia Cross Border Law Group LLC at 888-494-1486 to get more information. You can also contact us online.